Leave a Legacy
Planned giving is simply “planning to give.” Unlike traditional gifts made from your income, a planned gift is often made from your assets (such as investments or real estate) or from your estate after death.
Legacy gifts, or “planned gifts”, can come in many forms – all of which offer unique tax advantages to the donor while creating benefits for the Ryan’s Well Foundation and the communities we serve for years to come. A donation that is planned for future fulfillment allows us to carefully manage our resources for long-term projects, building greater sustainability for our organization.
Legacy gifts may include:
Leaving a gift through your will is a simple and straightforward way to support the work of charities like the Ryan’s Well Foundation.
Please consider the following recommended language to use in your will:
“I direct my Estate Trustees to pay to the Ryan’s Well Foundation (Charitable Number: 88858 7110 RR0001) a legacy of $________. It is my desire that the Ryan’s Well Foundation use these funds for [insert type of project]. If, at my death, the Ryan’s Well Foundation, in its absolute discretion, deems supporting such a program or area of work not to be feasible, it is my desire that my gift be directed to a program or area of work that most closely resembles my stated wishes.
- Direct your estate according to your wishes in the best interests of your loved ones
- Continue the legacy of charitable giving that you started in your lifetime
- Provide for your family and those who depend on you when you are no longer here
GIFTS OF LIFE INSURANCE
Naming the Ryan’s Well Foundation as beneficiary of your life insurance policy or assigning your life insurance policy to the Ryan’s Well Foundation is an affordable way to make a significant contribution to the work we do. There is a number of tax planning possibilities available, depending on how the donation is structured.
- You receive the satisfaction of knowing that you have guaranteed a large gift that will sustain Ryan’s work when you’re gone.
- Life insurance allows you to make a much larger gift than you could otherwise make.
- Certain uses of insurance can also substantially reduce taxes.
- You may be able to combine life insurance with a charitable gift as “wealth replacement” to maximize gifts to both charity and your heirs.
The taxation of gifts of publicly traded securities has recently changed. Accordingly, if you donate publicly traded securities to Ryan’s Well Foundation there is no capital gains tax on any appreciation of the securities.
The most effective way to donate securities to Ryan’s Well is to have the securities electronically transferred in-kind from your brokerage account to the Ryan’s Well account. Ryan’s Well Foundation will in turn issue a Canadian charitable tax receipt for the fair market value of the gift.
To obtain our GIFT OF SECURITIES TRANSFER FORM please contact us or reach us by phone at 613-258-6832.
- The tax on charitable gifts of publicly traded securities has been reduced to zero!
- You will receive a charitable donation receipt for the full fair market value of the gifted securities.
- You can claim gifts worth up to 75 per cent of your annual net income. Any unused receipts can be carried forward for 5 years.
These are just a sampling of the many ways to leave a legacy to the Ryan’s Well Foundation.
If you are interested in making a legacy gift, please be sure to discuss your options with your lawyer or financial or estate planner. They will help ensure that your financial goals are considered, your tax situation is reviewed and your planned gift is tailored to your circumstances.
If you have already committed to a legacy gift to the Ryan’s Well Foundation, thank you for your generosity. Please let us know about it by contacting us. All information given will remain confidential